UPDATE: Check out our new v2.0 intro to CAN bus!
What is CAN bus?
In this intro we explain the basics of CAN, incl. advantages, history, messages and the relation to protocols like J1939, OBD2 and CANopen!
For a quick intro to our CANedge CAN bus data loggers, check out the below!
In short, the Controller Area Network (CAN) is a standard used to allow Electronic Control Units (ECUs) to communicate in an efficient manner without a central computer.
Messages are broadcast in a system that requires very little physical wiring making CAN bus low cost, robust and efficient.
Applications of the CAN protocol include in particular automotive (cars, trucks, buses, commercial vehicles etc.), but also e.g. boats, drones and industrial automation.
INTROS TO CAN BASED PROTOCOLS
This video is part of our extremely popular series of CAN protocol intros. Below you’ll find links for our full playlist, as well as the more detailed articles.
Playlist for all intro videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqLDpHsxvf8&list=PLpV68vjf4Xo4vZ_SjJ6tTlomYm-k18vDZ
1) CAN bus: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/can-bus-simple-intro-tutorial
2) OBD2: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/obd2-explained-simple-intro
3) J1939: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/j1939-explained-simple-intro-tutorial
4) CANopen: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/canopen-tutorial-simple-intro
5) CAN FD: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/can-fd-flexible-data-rate-intro
6) LIN bus: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/lin-bus-protocol-intro-basics
7) DBC files: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/can-dbc-file-database-intro
Tip: Want all our CAN intros in one 100+ page PDF? Then get your free ‘Ultimate Guide’ now:
RECORDING & DECODING CAN BUS DATA
If you’re interested in learning more about logging CAN bus data, we recommend that you check out our below intros to our CANedge CAN bus data loggers, our CANmod sensor-to-CAN modules and our free software/API tools:
Data logging playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4MWHckbgE4&list=PLpV68vjf4Xo4NT0hXMEp5A9bXqfX9sFQo
1) CANedge1: https://www.csselectronics.com/products/can-logger-sd-canedge1
2) CANedge2: https://www.csselectronics.com/products/can-bus-data-logger-wifi-canedge2
3) CANmod.gps: https://www.csselectronics.com/products/gps-to-can-bus-gnss-imu
4) CANmod.temp: https://www.csselectronics.com/products/thermocouple-to-can-bus
See also our full intros to practical data logging:
1) Blackbox logger: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/black-box-can-bus-logger
2) OBD2 data logger: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/obd2-data-logger-sd-memory-convert
3) J1939 data logger: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/j1939-data-logger-wifi-telematics-fleet-management
4) CANopen data logger: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/canopen-data-logger
5) CAN FD data logger: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/can-fd-data-logger
6) LIN data logger: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/lin-bus-data-logger
For more tutorials, see our overview: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/can-bus-intros-tutorials
ABOUT CSS ELECTRONICS
At CSS Electronics we specialize in simple-to-use, pro specs and interoperable CAN bus data loggers – like the CANedge and CLX000 series. The devices let you record raw data from e.g. cars, trucks, industrial machinery and other CAN based applications onto an 8-32 GB SD card. The devices are interoperable, meaning you can process the data in your favorite existing software – or use our 100% free and open source software/API tools.
Case studies: https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/can-bus-data-logger-case-studies
We offer 100% free technical sparring – contact us: